I'm new to this blogging thing. Not in that I have not blogged previously, I've had (and still have) a tumblr blog for almost 2 years, but in that I never really read or looked for other people's blogs until now. One of my recent finds was The Closet Intellectual. I just read this post, a challenge to post 5 random facts about yourself. So, here goes...
1. I was born in Germany. For any friends following this blog this is not news. But, to any newcomers it might be a little more interesting. I lived in Germany until I was 8 years old, at which point I moved to England with my mum. I did not live with my brother from that age onwards, I saw him and my dad on holidays to Germany, and later the Netherlands. I flew solo, at first with an air stewardess taking me on and off the plane, and then (once my brother, who is 2 years older, was brave enough and therefore I wanted to be too) completely solo. You could say I grew up in Heathrow and Düsseldorf airport.
2. I recently had all of my wisdom teeth removed, right before Christmas last year! I'm a complete wimp, and it was my first time having a general anaesthetic. It is the weirdest feeling. I just remember it hurting, rather a lot, when the dude shoved the needle into my hand, followed by a cold sensation spreading up my arm. Next thing I knew I was waking up, and trying to spit out the wads of cotton wool they had stuffed into my mouth. I felt spaced out for a good while, until the following afternoon in fact. Unpleasant, but now I SHOULDN'T need anything else done (touch wood).
3. At school I was a complete mess. I'm talking oversized blazer (UK school uniforms), awful "free on the NHS" glasses, a terrible haircut, bad skin and a tendency towards the chubby side. I was also the girl that the boys would run up to, shout an insult or nickname at (I had a few) and then run away from, knowing full well I'd be chasing behind them. I was a first class shin kicker. I had a, terribly trendy, lunch bag with a shoulder strap. I went through a phase of throwing it at them (think Xena warrior princess with a bright yellow lunch bag whirling by her side). Ooh, and I had braces! For three years, how did I forget that horror? In an attempt to be cool, I had coloured elastics put on my braces. But, due to the reason below, I only allowed myself school colours, so I had alternating white and black (my teeth looked diseased).
4. I'm a stickler for the rules. It took me a while before I was happy walking without the "green man" leading the way. I'm getting better with age, I no longer insist on being at an airport the full 2 hours before my flight leaves (totally unnecessary in this day and age when you've already checked in online and are only travelling to mainland Europe). I also follow recipes to the tee, measuring ever so carefully and getting down level with a jug to make sure it's accurate. I was a blast during experiments at uni...
5. I always wanted an imaginary friend when I was young, but I never quite managed to convince myself. I'd try really hard to act as though I had one, but I always knew it was a dirty, rotten lie. I did, however, adore my toys, especially My Little Ponies, Barbie and, best of all, Sylvanian Families. I'd make little books for them, sandwiches from clay, bedding from jay cloths and cotton wool. I get nostalgic just talking about my Sylvanian Families! I'm quite peeved with my 15 year old self who, trying to be grown up, sold them all. I should have kept a family.
So there you have it, you have a little more insight to me. Not sure it's an entirely good thing, but c'est la vie.